Information
 
About Us
 

Welcome to the Barbados Yacht Club, the first organization formed to promote sailing in Barbados.

We are located on Carlisle Bay, about one mile south of the capital city of Bridgetown within the historic Garrison area. The bay is blessed with steady trade winds, calm waters and excellent beaches.

The Barbados Yacht Club sponsors a yearly racing programme and is a meeting place for its members and visiting yachtsmen.

The Club offers sailing, dining and recreational facilities including bar and restaurant, boatshed and tennis courts. Our facilities are also used for learn-to-sail instruction by the Barbados Sailing Association.

A meeting was held on August 23rd 1924 by Col. William Bowring, E. A. Hinkson, J. H. Wilkinson, E. E. Thorne, C. F. B. Jones to consider forming a Yacht Club.  A number of resolutions were discussed including leasing the property known as the “Shot Hall” from the British Union Oil Company.

The “Shot Hall was originally a part of the Bay Plantation which in 1790 consist of 208 acres from Carlisle Bay to Charles Fort.  It is believed that the building was erected around 1810 ­ 1811.

Another resolution dealt with membership matters including fees and  the club year end. A Burgee design was submitted and accepted by the committee, this design was changed in 1991. The Club was officially opened on Friday December 26th 1924 by Sir Charles O’Brien.

Sincere thanks to Mr. Peter Marshall for preparing this presentation of:

 “Barbados Yacht Club through the Years”

MANAGEMENT

COMMITTEE FOR

2015 – 2016

          COMMODORE                      VICE-MMODORE

              Mr. Geoffrey Evelyn                            Mr. Dick Stoute

Mrs. Anne Tindale

 Mrs. Eleanor Browne

 Mr. John A. Maynard

Mr. Christopher Rogers

  Mrs. Sophia Worme

   Mr. Paul Johnson

   SECRETARY MANAGER

    Mrs. Tessa Prescod